Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Talk Is Cheap


It's Just Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk 'Til You Lose Your Patience

I fell into a rambling conversation today with several people, standing around in the office. All happened to be male. Believe it or not, somehow or another the talk turned to when each of us had lost our, well, our “innocence,” I guess you could call it.

There was a lot of bullshit being proffered, in my judgement. At any rate, I am not sure why anyone would think someone else would be interested in the most intimate details of their sex life, now or from thirty years in the past. But some people do think that, apparently.

Anyway, the consensus in the group seemed to be 13-14 years old on the losing the virginity thing. If you factor in lying about it, that puts it more like age 15 or 16, which seems about right. If you ever see a group of guys standing around talking – either a bunch of lawyers or accountants or engineers in an office, or a gang of pipe fitters on a job site – there is a 50-50 chance that what they are talking about is something along this line.

My wife told me once that women talk about this kind of thing, too (she’d been drinking); and I told her I would like to listen in on a conversation like that. “No, you wouldn’t,” she said. It seems that the women often end up discussing how disappointing or unfulfilling that first magical time was.

Whatever. I’ll bet the guy thought it was great. And in the context of what we are talking about here, that’s all that really matters, no?


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: