Saturday, January 03, 2009

For What It's Worth


Music 2008

I am the furthest thing from a qualified music critic. For one thing, although I retain a nearly encyclopedic knowledge of rock music from the 1970s and early 1980s, my grasp of anything after that is seriously lacking in places; and when it comes to the current scene, my sense of trends is tenuous, at best. This has more to do with changes in lifestyle than aesthetic preference – I believe that, generally speaking, the music coming out now is as good as at any time during my rock ‘n’ roll lifetime; but I don’t have the time and/or disposable income now to properly keep up with it.

Still, I am not one of those approaching middle-agers who can just sink back into the nostalgia of the music of one’s youth. I have always listened to new stuff, and I still do, and when I come across something I like, I am very enthusiastic about it.

So, given all that, here are some of my favorite albums (I resist the urge to say “LPs”) from 2008. Old artists releasing new stuff, new stuff, over, under, sideways, down – this is a list of what came out last year that I enjoyed. Keeping in mind that I am really just a dilettante when it comes to anything after about 1995, I have listed a few reasons why I like what I like. For what it’s worth.

*****

Death Cab For Cutie Narrow Stairs – This is kind of dark, and a little precious at times, but overall I really like it. No one song really jumps out (my favorites are “Long Division” and “No Sunlight”), but it is a cohesive album, and a progression from their earlier releases.

The Black Keys Attack & Release – “Psychotic Girl” and “I Got Mine” are the standout tracks, but this album seems to emphasize overall concept over individual songs. I have noticed that some of the current bands I like best (The Black Keys, White Stripes, Viva Voce) are basically two-piece outfits who make up for lack of musical diversity with singular drive and/or vision. The BKs have both in abundance; and although I prefer the pounding, ragged blues-rock of Rubber Factory (2004) and Magic Potion (2006) to this spacier effort, Attack & Release is still one of my “go-to” albums from last year.

Black Mountain In The Future – From the first time I heard the single “Druganaut” (in late 2004), I knew I was going to like this band. Kind of prog-rocky, but with a whole hell of a lot of other stuff mixed in – folk, hard rock, art rock, etc. – the resulting music is fascinating. This LP (screw it, I cannot stop myself) is no different; strong all the way through, and the nearly 17-minute “Bright Lights” is, well, stunning. . . that is all I can say. It defies description.

The Black Ghosts The Black Ghosts – I am not consciously partial to bands with “black” in their name – as far as I know – and anyway this band bears little resemblance to the other two. Basically dance rock, something akin to the Gorillaz, if one needs a reference. “Full Moon” – which was featured in the soundtrack of some movie, I’ve heard – is a good example of how this band, like the Gorillaz, is something beyond a couple of British DJs putting together lively if soulless European dance hits. Plaintive and kind of laid back, but still connected to the electronic music these fellows are known for, songs like “Full Moon” (and, in somewhat different ways, “Anyway You Choose It” and “Something New”) point to singular style and a band I’ll be enjoying for awhile.

My Morning Jacket Evil Urges – Some people hate this album. Originally a grungy Southern country rock outfit, but one not averse to experimenting with other sounds, My Morning Jacket has by now evolved into something entirely different. They retain Jim James’ distinctive vocals as a signature, but have mixed many more elements – psychedlia, prog-rock, even funk – in the sound. At their best, as on “Mahgheeta” (from 2003’s It Still Moves) - still my favorite MMJ song - they can sound fuzzy, hypnotic and shimmering. This LP is all over the place musically, which I suspect is why some long-time fans despise it. But it has its moments, and then some; and the closing “Touch Me (I’m Going To Scream) Pt. 2” is eight-plus minutes of pure musical bliss.

The Whigs Mission Control – They have toured with My Morning Jacket, and started out, at least, in essentially the same place musically; but unlike MMJ, The Whigs have remained straightforward and true to their basic sound. “Like A Vibration” and especially “Right Hand On My Heart” are the standouts, but this is solid all the way through.

Ghostland Observatory Robotique Majestique – Hard to describe. Visually quite compelling, something gets lost when listening sans visuals. Still, there is something about this two-man outfit (another one of those) that pulls me right on in. This album is spotty in places, and I only listen to it when I am in a certain mood, but when it connects – damn, what a fine aural experience it is.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Dig!! Lazarus Dig!! They aren’t new – I have been a fan since the early ‘90s, and I was a latecomer – but Nick Cave et al just get better and better. This one rocks harder than previous efforts, but retains Cave’s lyric genius and odd, vaguely Lou Reed-style vocal delivery. The virtues of this album are a whole post by themselves. . . maybe later. As Cave fans already know, Dig!! Lazarus Dig!! is kick-ass, and my advice is to go purchase/acquire it, straight away.

Some additional singles I like, from the UK: MIA’s “Paper Planes” actually came out on 2007’s Kala LP, but the song itself bled well over into 2008. Compelling British dance-pop, with female vocals. I’ll admit the most compelling part for me may be the killer sample of the late period Clash song “Straight To Hell”. . . My entry in the English two man, I mean two person, band category is The Ting Tings. What can I say? I’m just a sucker for an attractive British chick with an attitude who sings beat-laden pop music about whatever, I don’t care. “Shut Up And Let Me Go” and especially “That’s Not My Name” are like musical crack – once I’ve got a taste I can't put it away, and there is no going back.

As far as “old” musicians releasing new albums, there were many this past year. Two I really enjoyed were Jack Bruce and Robin Trower’s Seven Moons, and Tom Petty’s regroup of sorts with his original band Mudcrutch. Neither feel like oldies remakes, but rather clear and relaxed new creations that the artists obviously put some effort into. Both are a pleasure to listen to.

*****

So there you have it. I’ve left some stuff out (space considerations) and have not said all I want to about some of the stuff included (ditto), but this is a decent representation of a loy of what I found compelling musically in 2008. I only hope 2009 holds as much in store.

*****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I not only remember the wolf, I related the tale while I was in Virginia last week.