Monday, May 05, 2008

Heavy Weather


I'm Stupid For The Rain

I wasted probably an hour and a half today, total, just watching it rain. Well, I say "wasted" because that is what my bosses would think, if they knew. I don't feel like I wasted the time at all. The fact is, I love when it rains; watching it happen takes precedence over work and career every time, sorry.

I am not generally a gloomy person, and I have spent a good deal of my time pursuing sun-worshipping activities in my lifetime; but the most beautiful thing in the universe to me is a gray, forbidding sky, big heavy clouds lumbering slowly by, and rain pouring down. I suppose it is a good thing I live in an area that gets around 60 inches of rainfall a year, on average.

I love the way rain feels, and smells, and looks. It is for me a sensual buzz. Sometimes I'll just go out and stand in it, which makes some people worry a little. I never carry an umbrella, and never have. When it rains, I just get wet.

Next time it rains, and someone says to you, "Well, it is a great day today. . . if you are a duck", remember, it is great if you are an Inca From Peru, too.

I do love the rain. It is just that there is just not enough of it. When I retire, I have an idea to move to one of the volcano/mountains in Hawaii, where I have read they get over 300 inches of precipitation a year. Now that is more like it.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

When I was little, I hated storms. Now, I love them. The best: storms at the beach.